This former golf course, or links, was considered in the 17th and 18th centuries as Edinburgh's best course and was in use for golf as early as mid-16 century.
Edinburgh is surrounded by golf courses, and with Leith a thriving residential area, this large flat expanse of greenery is now where Leithers come to play, whether it be football, cricket, putting, jogging, or just lazing around on the grass. There is also a children’s playground and in the Summer, festivals and fairs.
As well as golf, Leith Links has been the scene of public executions, duels, battles, and gatherings. In 1645, victims of the plague were buried here.