Trains in Edinburgh
The Trainline has a good price comparison tool for rail tickets throughout Scotland, the UK, and Europe. You will find tickets are usually cheaper if you buy in advance. As well as the search feature, there are price grids showing recent low prices found by Trainline travellers for coming weeks.
For example, scroll down the Trainline's page for the London to Edinburgh train tickets, you will see the price grid for all the lowest fares for each day of the coming month. The prices do not include further reductions for discounts and railcards. Read on about those.
If you are doing even a small amount of train travel, consider getting a Railcard for up to 1/3 off your (and friends and family) rail travel. Since there’s no limit on the number of times you can use your Railcard over the course of a year, you will quickly make back the £20 – £30 fee.
Railcards available include:
- 16-25 Railcard - youth card offering 50% off Anytime, Off-Peak, Advance and Season tickets.
- Two Together Railcard
- Family & Friends Railcard
- Senior Railcard
- Disabled Persons Railcard
- Network Railcard
- 26-30 Railcard
More details are available on the Railcard site.
Edinburgh Train Stations
- Waverley Station Edinburgh's mainline station.
- Haymarket Station Edinburgh's original, second mainline station.
Edinburgh Train Services
- Scotrail You are most likely to be travelling on this company's trains if you are just travelling within Scotland, especially if you are travelling to the more rural destinations in the Scottish Highlands. Has a busy route between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Timetables and booking.
- LNER Trains between Edinburgh and London, as well as offering services up to Aberdeen and Inverness.
- Lumo Fully electric, competitively priced rail between London King Cross and Edinburgh.
- National Rail Offers a useful resource for planning your trip by train by integrating the timetables of different railway companies and routes.
- Borders Railway Details of the new hour-long, Borders to Tweedbank line.
- Eurostar Going all the way to the continent? Then this is the site for you.
- Transport Focus Passenger focussed watchdog for rail in Scotland.
- Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway Heritage steam train rides.