Edinburgh has many buildings with steeples, but few are as dramatic as St Mary's a three-steepled cathedral that dominates the view Westward down Melville Street in Edinburgh's New Town. The main spire is 270 feet high.
The cathedral is particularly impressive when viewed from Melville Street around sunset when the three spires are silhouetted against an orange sky (as in this street view video).
Often referred to as St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral (there are several "St Marys" in the Edinburgh area) it is the mother church of the Diocese of Edinburgh in the Scottish Episcopal Church. As part of the wider Anglican communion it has close links with the Church of England, and Presbyterian neighbours (the Church of Scotland).
St Mary's Cathedral continues a tradition of daily choral services sung by the cathedral choir - a magnificent concert venue. The Song School is covered by murals by renowned artist Phoebe Anna Traquair.
The sandstone used to construct most of St Mary's was quarried locally at Craigleith.
The Scottish Episcopal Cathedral in Edinburgh, it was consecrated in 1879 and continues to welcome all to regular services. There is also a small shop.