A-listed medieval Church set in the Midlothian countryside about 7.5 miles (12.1 km) south of Edinburgh. Crichton Church has been in continuous use as a place of Christian worship for more than 550 years, during which time it has experienced two radical renovations, in 1720 and 1896.
'Collegiate' describes churches where priests and singing boys were recruited to pray daily for the souls of the great families who built and owned them. In the case of Crichton, this was the rich and powerful family of Lord Crichton, who lived a few hundred yards away in Crichton Castle.
In 1994 a Trust was established to care for the building and for a third restoration. The church hosts a variety of events, including weddings, funerals, concerts, recording sessions, as well as serving its traditional ecunemical use.