Century-old vaults in the heart of Edinburgh's Old Town that have been restored and developed as a rented venue for a variety of night clubs and arts events.
The Caves are managed and owned by ex-Scottish International Rugby player Norrie S Rowan, who sometimes personally leads ghost tours through the various tunnels and caves.
The labyrinthine cellars have huge arches that support Edinburgh’s South Bridge, and a multitude of diverse rooms and views, from the main vault whose stage is overlooked by a spacious balcony, to vaulted rooms that still contain the remains of buildings that predate the South Bridge itself.
Merchants initially used the vaulted chambers when they were completed in 1788, but because of damp conditions and poor air quality they became home to the poor and destitute.
Reputedly the Caves were once the stable for horses belonging to the French royal bodyguard and also once a whisky cellar. The Caves are accessed via Niddry Street, just off the Cowgate.
An amazing venue for all types of programmes including Edinburgh Film Festival premiere parties, the Fringe (shows by Just the Tonic), private and corporate functions and live music.