Time & place
World Car Free Day is an annual event that has taken place in cities around the world since the 1990s, but has grown in stature since the turn of the millennium. The aim of the day is to encourage people to forego the car and instead take public transport, cycle, scoot, or walk. Many cities offer free public transport for the day, and hold parties on major streets that are normally dominated by motorised traffic.
Edinburgh is holding its Car Free Day belatedly - World Car Free Day 2022 was on 22nd September - on Waverley Bridge. The day comes at the end of Scotland's Climate Week.
Local musicians Sara Forshaw, Folk Drama, and The Wispz will be performing.
- hosted reception and information point
- additional bike parking
- a well-being area with health and fitness demonstrations and classes
- a chill-out zone.
- bike safety checks and bikes to try out with The Bike Station
- Lothian Buses information
- Edinburgh Trams information
- Police Scotland will be offering security and safety advice