Secluded in 50 acres of woodland and majestically overlooking the River Esk, Melville Castle is only 20 minutes from the city centre.
The three-storey, castellated mansion was originally designed in 1786–1791 by celebrated Edinburgh architect James Playfair for Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville (the same who stands on the column on St Andrew Square).
Melville House fell into disrepair in the 20th century, but was taken over in 1993 by the Hay Trust and restored as a hotel, opening in 2003.
The hotel has a varied array of 33 bedrooms and suites - including some with four-poster beds - and is aimed at the luxury end of the market.
Available for events including corporate events, weddings and private parties.