Charlotte Square is a Georgian, neo-classical square just off the West End of George Street. The Square, which is mirrored by St. Andrew Square in the East End, was designed by Robert Adam, the leading Scottish architect of his day.
Adam's plans were drawn up in 1791, when he was at the height of his career,
and were commissioned by the Lord Provost and the City of Edinburgh
Council as the architectural culmination of Edinburgh's first New Town.
Adam was to die a year later, but his completed designs were eventually realised in 1820.