Trinity House

Venue details
99 Kirkgate
Edinburgh Area
Telephone (info)
0131 554 3289
About the venue

An elegant Georgian building that provides a window into Leith’s maritime past.

Designed by Thomas Brown, Trinity House was built in 1816 on the site of the former Trinity House and hospital dating from before 1550. It was the headquarters of the Incorporation of Mariners and Shipmasters in Port of Leith for nearly 200 years.

The charity was set up to support injured and retired seamen and their families. Its origins can be traced back to 1380, when it was granted the right to levy a tax known as prime gilt on goods imported into Leith.

The highlight of Trinity House is the Convening Room on the upper floor, where meetings were held around its long mahogany table.

There are many maritime objects on display ranging from navigational instruments and charts to whaling harpoons, model ships to narwhal tusks.

Among the various portraits of mariners to be found here are some by celebrated Edinburgh painter Sir Henry Raeburn.


Visiting is free, but must be booked in advance. Book a tour of Trinity House online.


55.9722043, -3.1713377