Arniston House

Venue details
1 Arniston Home Farm Cottages
EH23 4RY
Edinburgh Area
Telephone (info)
01875 830515
About the venue

A 6,000 acre working estate, 11 miles south of Edinburgh, is open to the public for guided tours and has 5 rental cottages.

The Arniston House collection contains generations of family portraits and artworks by Ramsay, Raeburn and Nasmyth. The interior decor features period furniture, impressive architecture and stucco work. 

The grounds, policies and surrounding woodlands offer a peaceful and relaxing space to spend time in throughout the seasons.

Arniston House background

Arniston House has been home to the Dundas family since 1571. The estate originally belonged to the Knight's Templar and then the Knight's of Saint John. George Dundas and his second wife, Katherine Oliphant from Dundas Castle in South Queensferry acquired the land from the Crown in 1571 for a younger son.

A tower house stood on the sight from which two rooms were incorporated in to the present house you see today.

The Dundases were a legal family dating back to the 1570s. In the 1700s they were one of the most powerful families in Scotland with two of the lairds being appointed President of the Court of Session.

Robert Dundas, the first Lord President commissioned William Adam to draw up plans for the current house. He began building in 1726 and the house was completed in the 1750s by John Adam. 

Formal gardens were laid out to the south of the house to a design by William but were then replaced by Capability Brown style parkland in 1750s. The house was devastated by dry rot in the 1950s.

The present owners, The Dundas-Bekker family embarked on a restoration programme in the 1990s with grant aid from Historic Scotland which has resulted in the John Adam Drawing Room and Dining Room being lovingly returned to their former glory. 

Althea Dundas-Bekker and her daughter, Henrietta Dundas take great pleasure in guiding visitors around their home and look forward to welcoming you.

Opening times (2024)

May and June – Tuesday and Wednesdays

Grounds are open free of charge Noon to 5pm
Tours depart at 2pm
2nd July to 15th September – Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sundays

Grounds are open free of charge Noon to 5pm
Tours depart at 2pm
Tour Prices:

Adult £12
Concession £9
Children (under 18 yrs) £5
Family Pass(Up to 2 adults and 3 children) £30
Historic Houses member free admission with current membership card


55.8237112, -3.0775041