Like Newtongrange, this is a former coal mining village in Midlothian, to the south of Edinburgh. Gorebridge was named after the bridge across the River Gore, a tributary of the South Esk.
Gorebridge is one of the railway stations on the Waverley Line, which re-opened on 6 September 2015.
The new station was built on the site of an old station that was used to carry coal from the Arniston Colliery. The Colliery, which closed in 1962 after a century of operation, was in fact two mines, the Emily Pit and the Gore Pit.
In Gore Glen there is a shallow cave named "The King's Cave", which, according to legend, was used by a cattle thief as a hide-out.
Scotland's first gunpowder mill, Stobsmill, operated here at the Gore Water from 1794 to 1875.