The Museum of Edinburgh is a series of interconnected 16th and 17th century buildings situated on the Royal Mile in the heart of Edinburgh Old Town.
Formerly known as Huntly House, the museum specialises in the history of Edinburgh from the earliest settlement to the present day.
The museum is packed with artefacts that illustrate the development of the city including the original plans for Edinburgh's New Town drawn by architect James Craig.
The permanent collection includes:
- The National Covenant
- the great petition for religious freedom signed by Scotland's Presbyterians in 1638
- Greyfriars Bobby, the little Skye terrier whose dogged devotion to his dead master touched the hearts of mid 19th century Edinburgh, is represented by his feeding bowl and collar.
Entry is free.