Hermitage of Braid is a broad strip of mature woodland that runs West from Greenbank/Morningside alongside the weaving waters of the Braid Burn to connect with more open green space of Blackford Hill in the East.
The Hermitage is easily accessed from Braid road by bike or foot from Morningside and has parking.
A broad footpath follows the Braid Burn between slopes of moss-covered rocks and mature, broad leaved woodland. The city is not far away, but it feels like you are in the countryside.
The area has some interesting historical features, in particular the Scots baronial mansion near the West end entrance to the park. It was completed in 1785 by Charles Gordon of Cluny who lived there with his family. The Hermitage of Braid house and estate was bequeathed to Edinburgh by John McDougal in 1937, and is home now to the Council’s Natural Heritage Service. Look out also for the nearby 17th century ice cellar.
Andesite rock was used from the area for road-building, with Blackford quarry near Blackford Hill providing the most clear example of this historical use. Today, the amphitheatre-like quarry is used by climbers and has been an (unsanctioned) party spot.
Information and way signs are posted along the way, which give an insight also into the history of the Hermitage.
The Hermitage is popular with dog walkers, joggers, and families.