The Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival is an independent film festival screening some of the latest films for outdoor enthusiasts, whether they are climbers, skiers or snowboarders, kayakers, BASE jumpers or explorers.
The festival launched in 2003 and (apart from a break in 2019) has been an annual event in Edinburgh, attracting up to 3,000 people for films, talks, and a party.
The festival aims entertain, enlighten and inspire adventure and provide a social gathering point for Scotland's outdoor scene.
Previous adventurers who have presented at the EMFF include Sir Chris Bonington, Mark Beaumont, Doug Scott, Ueli Steck, Simon Yates, Steph Davies, Benedict Allen, Catherine Destivelle and Andy Kirkpatrick.
EMFF raises funds for Mountain Rescue and the John Muir Trust, with over £20,000 raised since it began.
Tickets range from £5 - £17 for individual sessions and £45 for the whole weekend. Tickets available via the EMFF web site.
Winners of EMFF Best Film Award
- 2003: ‘Pushing Winter’ – a snowboarding film by Paul Raistrick of Aviemore
- 2004: ‘Never Say Nevis Again’ – a kayaking film by Steve Rogers of Fort William
- 2005: ‘Cano-Bagging’ – a ski mountaineering film by Blair Aitken of Edinburgh
- 2006: ‘E11’ – Dave MacLeod’s landmark climbing film by Paul Diffley
- 2007: ‘Scottish Extremities’ – a sea-kayaking film by Patrick Winterton
- 2008: ‘Echo Wall’ – Dave MacLeod’s climb on Ben Nevis by Claire MacLeod
- 2009: ‘The Sharp End’ – a climbing film by Sender Films of Colorado
- 2010: ‘Solo’ – a sea kayaking adventure by Jennifer Peedom of Australia
- 2011: ‘Eastern Rises’ – a Kamchatka adventure by Felt Soul Media of Colorado
- 2012: ‘Cold’ – a winter ascent of Annapurna, by Anson Fogel of Colorado
- 2014: ‘Distilled’ – a biopic of mountaineer Andy Cave by Paul Diffley
- 2015: ‘Valley Uprising’ – a movie about Yosemite by Sender Films of Colorado
- 2016: ‘Operation Moffat’ – Britain’s first female mountain guide, Gwen Moffat
- 2017: ‘Dodo’s Delight’ – a sailing and mountaineering adventure in Baffin Island
- 2018: ‘The Frozen Road’ – a solo bike journey in Alaska in winter by Ben Page
- 2019: No EMFF was held
- 2020: TBA