Business services and banking, tourism and festivals, and higher education are major components of Edinburgh's economy.
The Scottish capital's biggest employer is Edinburgh City Council, and as the centre of Scotland's government and its legal system, the public sector is a major driver of the local economy.
The National Health Service is also a major employer.
Businesses Agencies Serving Edinburgh
Tax and Companies House
- Companies House Basic information on UK companies.
- Inland Revenue News and info from the IR. Download forms or file online
Business and Finance Watchdogs
- Financial Conduct Authority Protects "honest, fair and effective" markets. Successor to the FSA.
- Financial Ombudsman Offers consumers a free independent service for resolving disputes with financial firms.
- Advice Direct Scotland Free financial, benefits, and consumer rights advice.
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland For accountants and those looking for accountants. Information on the profession, courses and contacts.
- The Faculty of Actuaries and the Institute of Actuaries Joint web site for two organisations representing the acturial profession.