Major venue, situated at the top of Leith Walk, that hosts many big-name and West End touring shows, be it dance, musical, rock, the Fringe, or Edinburgh International Festival.
About the Edinburgh Playhouse
Designed by Glasgow architect, John Fairweather as a variety theatre, the Playhouse was largely modelled on the Roxy Theatre in New York, but caught up in the new craze sweeping the country, it opened as a super-cinema on 12th August 1929 with the ‘talkie' The Doctor's Secret.
It remained a cinema for 40 years while in the ownership of the MacGuire family, until it fell victim to the cinema slump in 1973. Tender for demolition were invited by advertisement, and a ‘Save the Playhouse' group was set up, who collected 15,000 signatures against the closure. In 1974 the Playhouse was given listed building status.
In 1975 the ‘Edinburgh Playhouse Society' was formed, a second petition brought a further 13,500 signatures, helping tremendously in saving the building that stands here today.
Over the next 12 years the theatre changed hands 5 times, until Apollo Leisure took over ownership in December 1985. In 1993 a major refurbishment was undertaken and The Edinburgh Playhouse was returned to its former glory, soon becoming one of the most successful theatres in Britain.
Reviews of shows here
- Annie 2016, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (18 May '16)
- Let it Be (2016), Playhouse, Review (19 Apr '16)
- Guys and Dolls, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (13 Apr '16)
- The Last Tango, Playhouse Theatre, Review (08 Apr '16)
- The Rocky Horror Show (2016), Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (30 Mar '16)
- Hairspray 2016, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (23 Feb '16)
- Blood Brothers 2016, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (09 Feb '16)
- The Glenn Miller Story, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (27 Jan '16)
- The Sound of Music (2016), Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (07 Jan '16)
- Priscilla Queen of the Desert 2015, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (18 Dec '15)
- Mack & Mabel, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (12 Nov '15)
- Shrek The Musical, Edinburgh Playhouse, review (22 Oct '15)
- The Bodyguard the Musical, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (05 Oct '15)
- EIF 2015, Ballett Zurich, The Playhouse, Review (29 Aug '15)
- EIF 2015: Max Richter – Recomposed/Memoryhouse, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (26 Aug '15)
- Into the Woods, Playhouse, Review (01 Aug '15)
- Derren Brown: Miracle, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (20 May '15)
- Jesus Christ Superstar, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (09 Apr '15)
- Spamalot, Edinburgh Playhouse, 2015, Review (17 Mar '15)
- Dirty Dancing - The Classic Story on Stage, Playhouse, Review (27 Feb '15)
5 Aug 2016 - 6:00pm - 29 Aug 2016 - 10:45pm