Major venue, situated at the top of Leith Walk, that hosts many big-name and West End touring shows, be it dance, musical, rock, or Edinburgh International Festival.
About the Edinburgh Playhouse
Designed by Glasgow architect, John Fairweather as a variety theatre, the Playhouse was largely modelled on the Roxy Theatre in New York, but caught up in the new craze sweeping the country, it opened as a super-cinema on 12th August 1929 with the ‘talkie' The Doctor's Secret.
It remained a cinema for 40 years while in the ownership of the MacGuire family, until it fell victim to the cinema slump in 1973. Tender for demolition were invited by advertisement, and a ‘Save the Playhouse' group was set up, who collected 15,000 signatures against the closure. In 1974 the Playhouse was given listed building status.
In 1975 the ‘Edinburgh Playhouse Society' was formed, a second petition brought a further 13,500 signatures, helping tremendously in saving the building that stands here today.
Over the next 12 years the theatre changed hands 5 times, until Apollo Leisure took over ownership in December 1985. In 1993 a major refurbishment was undertaken and The Edinburgh Playhouse was returned to its former glory, soon becoming one of the most successful theatres in Britain.
Reviews of shows here
- Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Edinburgh Playhouse, 2014, Review (05 Mar '14)
- Tonight's the Night, Edinburgh Playhouse, Feb 2014, Review (18 Feb '14)
- Evita, Edinburgh Playhouse, Jan 2014, Review (29 Jan '14)
- The Lion King, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (23 Oct '13)
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Edinburgh Playhouse 2013, Review (02 Oct '13)
- EIF 2013: L.A. Dance Project Review (26 Aug '13)
- EIF 2013: The Poet Speaks: Homage to Allen Ginsberg Review (18 Aug '13)
- Dreamboats and Petticoats (2013), Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (09 Jul '13)
- Blood Brothers, Edinburgh Playhouse, 2013, Review (25 Jun '13)
- Ghost, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (16 May '13)
- Thriller, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (30 Apr '13)
- The Rocky Horror Show (2013), Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (12 Mar '13)
- Priscilla - Queen of the Desert, Edinburgh Playhouse, 2013, Review (05 Mar '13)
- Cats, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (14 Feb '13)
- New Jersey Nights, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (23 Jan '13)
- Dirty Dancing, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (06 Dec '12)
- 9 to 5, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (27 Nov '12)
- Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Edinburgh Playhouse Nov '12, Review (14 Nov '12)
- 42nd Street, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (07 Nov '12)
- American Idiot, Edinburgh Playhouse, Review (23 Oct '12)
8 Aug 2014 - 6:00pm - 31 Aug 2014 - 10:45pm