Traditionally, Hogmanay is marked in Scotland with friends and first footing at the strike of midnight in the New Year. The origins of Hogmanay are somewhat obscure although elements of it have been traced to Celtic, Pictish and Norse Winter Solstice traditions.
Edinburgh's Hogmanay is a three-day winter festival that takes place at the end of each year. Highlights include the Torchlight Procession and Edinburgh's Hogmanay Street Party (read review, watch videos) where 80,000 or so revellers jam into the city centre to see in the New Year.
Check the Edinburgh Weather forecast.
Edinburgh's Hogmanay 2015-2016 Programme
- Candlelight concert
- Concert in the Gardens
- The Old Town Ceilidh
- Hogmanay Street Party
- Hogmanay Fireworks at Midnight
- Auld Lang Syne at Hogmanay 2008/2009
- The Torchlight Procession - Hogmanay Kiss
- Fireworks on Calton Hill
- "The Longest Strip in the Willow in the World"
- Ceilidh Dancing at Edinburgh's Hogmanay
- On George Street at Edinburgh's Hogmanay
- Millennium Hogmanay Edinburgh's Hogmanay compilation
- 1,000 Bagpipers at Millennium Hogmanay Mass pipes and drums march down the Royal Mile on 30 December 1999.
- Hogmanay Street Party: £25 "admin fee" (includes booking fee).
- Edinburgh’s Hogmanay Street Party – EH Postcode Ticket: £19.00 admin (includes booking fee). Limited offer of 5000 Street Party tickets available to EH Postcode Homes. A maximum of 8 EH Postcode Street Party tickets can be purchased in any one transaction.
- Concert in the Gardens: £55 (including booking fee) for Enclosure & £49.50 (including booking fee) for tickets to the Gardens
- Old Town Ceilidh: £45 (includes booking fee)
- Loony Dook: £10 registration fee
- Candlelight Concert: £18.50 (includes booking fee)
- Torchlight Procession Vouchers for torches available for purchase in advance for £12 each.
Edinburgh's Hogmanay Box Office
Online sales Edinburgh's Hogmanay website (official site)
Telephone 0844 573 8455.
In person Tickets can be bought at The Fringe Office, Royal Mile.
Edinburgh's Hogmanay Night Buses
Lothian Buses provides a free Hogmanay NightBus service from 00:20-04:00.
Edinburgh's Hogmanay Accommodation
Accommodation in Edinburgh fills up quickly so it pays to plan ahead.
For Hogmanay celebrations information for the rest of Scotland check out the Home of Hogmanay site at www.hogmanay.net