Traditionally, Hogmanay is marked in Scotland with friends and first footing at the strike of midnight in the New Year. The origins of Hogmanay are somewhat obscure although elements of it have been traced to Celtic, Pictish and Norse Winter Solstice traditions.
Edinburgh's Hogmanay is a three-day winter festival that takes place at the end of each year. Highlights include the Torchlight Procession and Edinburgh's Hogmanay Street Party (read review, watch videos) where 80,000 or so revellers jam into the city centre to see in the New Year.
In 2013-2014 Hogmanay will feature a live circus show "Limbo!" from 22 November to 4 January.
Edinburgh's Hogmanay 2013-2014 Programme
- Edinburgh's Hogmanay Torchlight Procession (and Son et Lumière)
- New Year Sprint (heats)
- Candlelight concert
- Concert in the Gardens
- The Keilidh
- Hogmanay Street Party
- Hogmanay Fireworks at Midnight
- Loony Dook
- New Year Sprint Final
- Edinburgh's Dogmanay (TBC for 2014)
- Edinburgh Triathlon (TBC for 2014)
- Auld Lang Syne at Hogmanay 2008/2009
- The Torchlight Procession - Hogmanay Kiss
- Fireworks on Calton Hill
- "The Longest Strip in the Willow in the World"
- Ceilidh Dancing at Edinburgh's Hogmanay
- On George Street at Edinburgh's Hogmanay
- Millennium Hogmanay Edinburgh's Hogmanay compilation
- 1,000 Bagpipers at Millennium Hogmanay Mass pipes and drums march down the Royal Mile on 30 December 1999.
- Hogmanay Street Party: £20 "admin fee"
- Concert in the Gardens: £45 for Enclosure & £40 for tickets to the Gardens
- The Keilidh: £37
- Loony Dook: £6 (tbc) registration fee (incl donation to RNLI)
- Candlelight Concert: £16
N.B. Tickets are subject to booking fees.
Edinburgh's Hogmanay Box Office
Revellers can purchase tickets for Concert in the Gardens from 10am Friday 30 August at www.edinburghshogmanay.com, by calling Edinburgh’s Hogmanay Box Office on 0844 573 8455 or by calling into the Hogmanay Box Office at The Fringe Office, 180 High Street, Edinburgh.
Hogmanay tickets for 2013-2014 can be bought online via the event site at www.edinburghshogmanay.org or by telephone on 0844 573 8455. Tickets can be bought in person at The Fringe Office, Royal Mile.
Edinburgh's Hogmanay Accommodation
Accommodation in Edinburgh fills up quickly so it pays to plan ahead.
For Hogmanay celebrations information for the rest of Scotland check out the Home of Hogmanay site at www.hogmanay.net