Scottish Storytelling Centre
Purpose-built venue dedicated to live storytelling, for both children and adults.
Easily recognised by its light, modern facade halfway down the historic Royal Mile, the Storytelling Centre includes the 99-seater Netherbow Theatre and presentation space, the George Mackay Brown Library, and the adjoining visitor attraction John Knox's house. There is also a book and gift shop and a storytelling cafe.
The venue was formerly known as the Netherbow Arts Centre. It officially re-opened, after a £3.5 million makeover, on 1 June 2006, as the Scottish Storytelling Centre.
The Scottish Storytelling Centre is the ideal place to discover live oral storytelling, develop your own storytelling skills, or find out more about storytelling in your area. With year round programming of events, as well as training and development courses, plus the annual Scottish International Storytelling Festival, the Centre is a hub of activity for young and old alike, and will rekindle your love of the spoken word.
The Centre includes the historic John Knox House, 99-seat Netherbow Theatre and the George Mackay Brown Library, and is the headquarters of the Scottish Storytelling Network. Our light and airy Storytelling Court is open to the public, and includes a free child-friendly exhibition, Scotland's Stories, as well as a programme of temporary displays. We're pleased to say all our facilities are fully accessible, with baby-change areas, Braille signage and a hearing loop in performance areas.
The Storytelling Café serves delicious homemade lunches, coffees and snacks, as well as wines and beers and a special children's menu. The Centre is a friendly and welcoming space for meeting friends, finding out about Scotland's rich story heritage and experiencing the magic of live stories. We look forward to your visit!
Reviews of shows here
- Film Review: The Secret of Kells (2009) (19 Apr '15)
- The Moonlit Road, Scottish Storytelling Centre, Review (14 Nov '14)
- Puppet Animation Festival: 3 Colours Review (06 Apr '14)
- The Edibles, Scottish Storytelling Festival, Review (23 Dec '13)
- Anton and the Eye of Death, Scottish Storytelling Centre, Review (15 Dec '13)
- Starbird Review (10 Aug '13)
- Robin Hood: The People's Hero, Scottish Storytelling Centre, Review (29 Apr '13)
- Charlie & My ’45 / I Promise I Shall Not Play, Storytelling Centre, Review (10 Nov '12)
- Angus: Weaver of Grass Review (18 Aug '12)
- Ordinary Days, Scottish Storytelling Centre, Review (22 Jun '12)
- The Selfish Giant, Storytelling Centre, Review (13 Apr '12)
- The Man Who Planted Trees Review (19 Aug '11)
- Stories Round The Tree, Scottish Storytelling Centre, Review (21 Dec '10)
- Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol Review (15 Dec '10)
- Sticky Kids Christmas Singalong Show, Storytelling Centre, Review (08 Dec '10)
- Sense: Nose and Skin, Storytelling Centre, Review (13 May '10)
- A Promised Land Review (25 Aug '09)
- Theatre Review: Leave To Remain (09 May '09)
- Clarinda Review (30 Jan '08)
- Garibaldi! (08 Aug '07)
26 Mar 2016 - 10:00am - 10 Apr 2016 - 11:00pm